A Benefit Available to Qualified CGCI Member Clubs and Districts
CGCI GTEP Chairman: Bev Davies
What is it?
- It is the opportunity for a member Garden Club or District to obtain Tax-Exempt Status under the CGCI exemption “umbrella”.
Why is this allowed?
California Garden Clubs, Inc. is a not-for-profit educational organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. This section affords CGCI tax-exempt status.
CGCI applied for and received a group exemption letter recognizing subordinate clubs and districts of the type described in
Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code on November 15, 2006
Revenue and Tax Code Section 23701d of the California Franchise Tax Board on November 9, 2010, retroactive to November 15, 2006.
By obtaining these Group Exemptions, CGCI is able to pass along to its subordinates its tax exemption status under both Federal and California codes.
Thus, qualifying member clubs and districts are eligible to be considered tax-exempt organizations under the same status as CGCI, as long as they follow the guidelines set by CGCI on the basis of IRS and California FTB requirements.
In order to continue in the CGCI Group Tax Exemption Program, the member clubs and districts also need to meet all Federal and California tax form and filing requirements.
What are the benefits?
- By being included in the Group Exemption Letter
- subordinates do not have to file an application for exemption
- members of the Group Exemption do not have to pay the federal or state fees to obtain an exemption letter
- CGCI fees: Application - $35; Annual Renewal - $15
- members of the Group Exemption can accept donations that are tax-deductible under the law
- Bequests, legacies, devises, transfers, or gifts are deductible for federal estate and gift tax purposes if they meet the applicable provisions of section 2055, 2106 and 2522 of the Code.
- The following required forms can be saved to your computer and completed electronically
- The "Organization Information Sheet" is a form for organizations to keep track of important information needed to complete federal and state filing requirements.
- For a list of GTEP group members (2013-14) click here
In addition the following are links to important information for Nonprofits and tax-exempt organizations
Updated September 2013